Thursday, November 17, 2005

Soon to be a sweet memory...


You should know that for years (maybe 14 years) I have been a K-State football fan. I love it! In my heart the cats are always the best, they always have the potential to win, if they could only believe in themselves and play the game like I see them in my head, we would be National Champs every year! In my heart they are unstoppable.

Also in my heart, I cannot think of my fondness of K-State Football or even K-State as a whole without thinking of Bill Snyder. He is core, he is reigning hero, he is K-State. When I talk about K-State football or Coach Snyder, I usually say, "Bill." I talk as if I just got off the phone with Bill, as if he is my uncle, a dear friend, someone I really know. Yes, Bill and his family are dream friends of mine. Not really just to talk football with and know all the details that the public doesn't know, but also just to talk about life and events of the day and the Big 12 in general. From observing Bill, I see dedication, excellence, an unwavering commitment, a confidence, a security. He sticks to his guns, and doesn't seem to care what others think. He is a believer and has convinced so many others to believe.

All these things will soon be a sweet memory. Bill retired this week. It's funny because I have often joked that I think I will cry when Bill retires, because I just can't imagine KSU Football without him. The time has come, I am in shock! I wish we could have one more year with you Bill! Thanks for all the good times, thanks for hanging in there when the team was struggling, thanks to you and your family for all the sacrifices you have made over the years to invest in a football program and in a community. Even though in reality I don't know you, Snyder family, you are always welcome in my family. You will always be this Wildcat's hero!

I feel like getting to know the new coach will be somewhat like getting to know a step-dad. He maybe the smartest greatest nicest guy in the whole world but he is going to have to prove it and even if he does, we'll still love Bill more.

Saturday is our last game of the season, our last game coached by Bill, the end of 17 years. I do know that life and football will go on without Bill. Just in case anyone thought in my sadness I have lost perspective. :)

No comments: