Thursday, July 20, 2006

Update on Matt...

This is a journal entry from Matt's dad. He posted it about 4:30pm today.

Day +7 (July 20)

Matt had a pretty good night, but had rough morning. He needed platelets to try and get the internal bleeding (in his vomit and stools) stopped. They have actually raised the threshold of needing platelets from 10K to 40K, so he will likely be getting more transfusions until he can maintain that level.

He was doing well non-the-less, so Di and I decided to both head to the National Marrow Donor Program to speak at their monthly staff meeting. (They had asked us if we would last week) There were about 200 in attendance and another 150 on the phone. It was great to finally meet so many of the people that we've talk with over the last 5+ years. Alexandra even stood at the front of the room and said "thank you" to the crowd. We left right after our talks and headed back to the hospital.

Unfortunately, Matt was throwing up when we walked into the room. The mucusitis is getting worse and his lips are swollen and the pain has increased in his stomach and lips. This pain is the cause of his getting sick. He continued to have a "bad day" until about 2:30 and then turned the corner. He is doing pretty good right now. Hopefully that will continue through the night.

His hair is starting to fall out, he said, "I'm just not ready for that yet, dad" I told him he only had a day or two of it left but not to worry, it will be back before he knows it. More later.

1 comment:

Luke said...

Dang. I don't know Matt or very little of his story but I'll will do what I can to remember to pray for him and his family. I can't imagine. He's gotta be a tough kid.