How exciting! Last night I thought I was going to the movies with my roommate. I also thought that my boyfriend was driving to KC to meet up with his friends before they leave for their Guys Vacation weekend. I was out running errands, getting ready to go pick up my roommie for the movie when I got a phone call from one of my students. She told me she had been at Old Stadium and her car would not start. She asked if I could come help her out, jump-start her car or call AAA. Of course I said certainly and I headed over there. I called my roommie to tell her I would be running late.
When I arrived at Old Stadium Nessa was there waiting and I said, "Hop in, I'll drive you to your car." She asked, "Hey, can I show you something?"
I was puzzled. It's 107 degrees outside and I'm thinking, "Don't you just want to get your car moving and I am trying to make the 7:30 movie?" I could see whatever she wanted me to see she thought was important and worthy and that I would possibly enjoy it, so I went along. I parked the car and followed Nessa. She told me that what she had seen and wanted to show me was really cool and that I would love it or think it was neat (not sure what words she used but that was the general idea).
I said, "Oh my gosh! Can you see the new Jumbotrons at the new stadium from here?! Those things are awesome, can you see them all the way from here?!" I am such a dork! That is seriously how excited I get about K-State football we're at the old stadium and I just assume whatever she has to show me is related to football some how. She laughed and said, "What's a Jumbotron?" (by the way you can't see them - there are far too many trees and buildings and it's several blocks away...I'm a nut, what was I thinking? Duh!)
Nessa told me what she was going to show me was better than that. Now, I like to try and guess things and my imagination goes crazy when I know a surprise is coming...so as we're walking I start to think of a 2nd guess...think think think...I ask "Oh my gosh, is Bill Snyder sitting out here or something?" (My mind is really getting into the football spirit here...but it's a random mind b/c Why and When has Bill ever hung out at Old Stadium, especially when it's 107 degrees outside) I am Crazy, which I realize after the question came out of my mouth, so I laughed it off. Nessa said, "Just wait, you'll see in just a second."
Ok...here's the part of the story you really want to know. We turn the corner and start to head up the stairs to the top and as I look up there he is, My Boyfriend! He had been sitting and he stood up and we saw each other and I yelled from the bottom of the stadium, "SHUT UP!" Then I looked at Nessa and said, "SHUT UP! Are YOU Serious?" I was cracking up and very very surprised. Nessa gave me a hug bye (thanks sweetie for being such a special part of my day, I'm so glad you are part of my engagement story, I love sharing life with you!). I climbed to the top to be with my man. (sorry no names I always change people's names in my blog to keep a little privacy and I haven't come up with a good pseudo name for him yet)
So we are standing together at the top of Old Stadium, my favorite place in Manhattan (see Feb. blog archive) and he shares with me wonderful things about me and us and how wants to share life with me. We are both really excited, a little teary and shaky. Oh, he said, "I know this is one of your favorite places, so I wanted to surprise you and meet you here, and I'm hoping that this place will no longer be your favorite place, but that it will become one of our favorite places." Aaahhh...
Then he got down on one knee and asked me to be his wife and I said, "Yes, Yes, Yes." He put the ring on my finger and we told each other, I love you, about a million times. I think I may have jumped up and down a few times like a little kid.
It's so amazing to me how much in life has changed in the past year and I am sure that I will be more amazed after this coming year passes.
I love the Old stadium. I have spent many hours over the past seven years going there on nice days, lemonade or coffee in hand along with my Bible and sometimes a journal - climbing to the top and sitting there hanging out with God.
I was just thinking the other day about how this time last year I went to Old Stadium early one morning. I was so sad and just needed some time with God. I remember crying out to Him, wondering if he was dismissing the desires of my heart (some of them being to be married, to be seen and loved) feeling like good things were only happening to those around me. I remember crying also b/c I knew God was blessing me every day but I couldn't "see" it and I didn't "feel" it. I prayed he would help me to see where he was at work in my life. I was crying so hard that day and I didn't have any tissue to blow my snotty dripping nose so I took my socks off and used them - they were soaked (gross, huh).
God heard my cry and the prayers of many others on my behalf. I witnessed him answer those prayers over and over again this past year, but never did I even think he would redeem that day a year ago with a marriage proposal a year later at that very place were I had cried out to Him. I guess Old Stadium is an Ebenezer in my life now - a monument to remind me of the faithfulness of my God, my Jesus, and a reminder that God hears his people and cares for them deeply.
Praise you Father for your faithfulness. Praise You Praise You - May my heart never forget it!
Finally I just want to say that we are getting married in Manhattan on Nov. 18th (of this year!) and our reception will be at the Alumni Center...located nowhere other than...THE Old Stadium...
How cool is that?!
(there is a pic of Old Stadium in my Feb. blog archives if you want to check it out...my blog is not cooperating right now for me to post the pic again)
19 comments:
Wow, girl! What an exciting story! I am truly excited for you! Congratulations.
We are so excited for you both!!! What a fun story. Looking forward to lunch with you today. E
Hello Friend,
I am so excited for you!! I am glad you were surprised. It is an awesome blessing that God was able to capture your heart in a greater way and lift your eyes to look into His on this special day.
I'm so excited and rejoice with you. I really love you guys!
What a great story! I am happy and excited for you and your man!
Love and Hugs to you both.
Wahoo! I am pumped for you! What a beautiful story God has been weaving for you!
YES!!!! As with everyone else, I'm soo pumped for you guys!!!!! congrats!
Yahoo! PTL!
I am so excited for both of you!!!! May God bless your engagement time!!!
love,
Amber P
Correnta I just wanted to tell you congratulations!!! Exciting news as I browsed your blog for the first time in a few days! I don't know the lucky man but he is that exactly that and he must be some kind of stud no doubt. Well good luck to you both! I look forward to keeping up...
Yeah, you sweet girl!!! That is so perfect for you. I have been pumped since I heard the news and was going to ask around for your phone number so I could call and hear the story! It seems to be waving through the "older" single girls so I hope I am close to the front of the line. :) I am just very, very happy for both of you. The pic before the entry is very telling of your joy about each other.
L
Sweet! I am so excited for you. I think of the conversation in Planet Sub with you, me, joy, maris and ben. We were talking about out desires and longings. This new chapter in the story is very good.
Congradulations!!!
Congratulations!!!! We're both so happy for you guys! I hope we can make it.
Justin and Tiff
WOW Friends, Thanks for your sweet words. I am loving all the comments and sharing our joy with loved ones.
Justin and Tiff...always glad to have new visitors to the blog, especially when they are old friends. I heard we may get to see you Labor Day weekend, hope that works out.
CONGRATS! I am so excited for you!
sweet girl...you make me cry! I finally found your blog and I am hooked! (Lisa helped) I am rejoicing as I think over all the years gone by and the ones to come! Let me know if I can help. Love, mb
many congrats to you both! so happy for you!!! may the Lord bless your life together richly. (i found your blog linked from anna's...not really, i'm just stalking you from across the border)
Hi - can you send us your address?
John & Becky Maz
Post a Comment