Monday, February 02, 2009

Old Bay Seasoning

In my last post I said I used Old Bay Spice in a recipe- it's actually called Old Bay Seasoning -opps. Here is their website: Old Bay Seasoning I'd never been there before today...

As for where you can get this stuff - well I found it on a little shelf back by the seafood counter in my local grocery store. Otherwise I would check in the spice aisle around other things to season fish with maybe near the cornmeal? If you ask someone at the seafood counter they should be able to help you find it.

As for what's in this stuff - here is what the label says: "Celery salt, spices (including mustard, red pepper, black pepper, bay leaves, cloves, allspice (pimento), ginger, mace, cardamom, cinnamon), and paprika." Seriously I never would have guessed half of this stuff is in here - anyway, it good and not spicy. Is it safe to eat something with mace in it? :)

Christy, if you can't find it I will mail you some - really I will!

Keely - No it is not with the deodorant, but I cracked up when I read that - witty! :)

3 comments:

Amanda said...

I love Old Bay Seasoning. I'd never heard of it before until I had a recipe that called for it. Oddly enough...not for seafood. I put a whole mess of veggies together and put a bunch of spices on it (including old bay) and roast them. Yum! I also make some Zucchini "Crab" cakes that call for old bay. I love that stuff.

Christy said...

wow, i feel so honored that my comment warrented a whole new post!! :) i'm going to try and make this tomorrow, so i probably won't get to the store again before then, but i have almost all of those individual spices on hand, (minus the mace!), so i'm going to just see what i can whip up on my own...will let you know how it turns out! thanks!!

Heather said...

Christy - I really want to know how it turns out w/ your own spice mixture and if you have a mace sprayer on your key chain - PLEASE do NOT use it on your dinner! Hee hee

Amanda - I bet it would be so yummy on veggies - I am excited to try it on chicken as well.