Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Think think (part 2 of 2)

In my previous post I mentioned reading and thinking...here are some thoughts rolling around in my head from my reading...

I began reading chapter 3 in a book called Revolution of Character: Discovering Christ's Pattern for Spiritual Transformation, by Dallas Willard with Don Simpson. It's alright. I am learning things and it helps that my co-workers and I are discussing it. I need the cooperative process time for retention. Anyway, here is something I read today that got me thinking... "God is not mean, but he is dangerous..." I'll try to give you just enough context to keep it short, but long enough that hopefully it won't be out of context.

"...Paul summarized the prophetic account of the human self and traced the problem to its root:... Roman's 3:10-18... The very last statement from this collection of Old Testament diagnosis of the human condition reaches to the core of the matter: 'There is no fear of God before their eyes.' Fear of God, the proverb tells us, is the beginning of wisdom (Prov. 9:10). Although not the outcome of wisdom, to be sure, it is the indispensable beginning. One begins to get smart when he or she fears being crosswise of God - fears not doing what he wants and not being what he requires. Fear is the anticipation of harm. God is not mean, but he is dangerous....electricity and nuclear power, for example, are not mean, but they are dangerous. In a certain sense, if we don't 'worry' about God, we simply aren't being smart. And that is the point of this verse."

WOW! What do I think about that? Still not sure. I think C.S. Lewis was saying the same thing in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, when he described Aslan as being good but not safe. Is my problem here just with vocabulary? Is it just that the words "good" and "safe" are more PC or palatable for me than "not mean" and "dangerous?"

A mediation question given at the end of the chapter is, "How can God be dangerous and still love you?" I found myself asking, "Is God dangerous? I'm not sure I can agree with that. I do agree that He is not "safe," is that the same thing?

Just now I checked out dictionary.com to find the meaning of danger, fear and safe, which also got me thinking about the word "awe," click on the words if you are curious too.

Other thoughts on this... In the end I agree, God is dangerous, he will not remove risk from my life, he will not remove all harm from my way, life in this fallen world will not leave me unharmed; but God does promise to go with me, even before me and behind me, I am not alone, I am not left to die or be destroyed and when I leave this fallen world there is a home prepared for me that is safe. All that said, I think I'll still choose to think of God as good but not safe rather than "dangerous" but "not mean." So how can God be not safe but still love me? In the midst of "danger" I am given the opportunity to see where Jesus is, to trust Him and cleave to Him. I also have the opportunity to know more of God, his love, his provision, his rescue, his strength, his sufferings, his refuge, his comfort and his victory; I think this list could go on and on. In safety would I really understand my need for God? I can even lose sight of that need in midst of danger. God is my Father and he knows what I need to learn and to grow and most of all what will bring glory to himself. So as someone who is scared of risk but in love with Jesus, I have found the dangerous parts of my journey worth it. Although, I really enjoy the safe parts! :) I have so many other thoughts and questions about "fear[ing] being crosswise of God - fear[ing] not doing what he wants and not being what he requires" and "In a certain sense, if we don't 'worry' about God, we simply aren't being smart."
Something in me says, what about grace vs. works (this is stirred with the word "requires" but I do long to please God, I don't think I need to be walkin' around shaking in my boots all the time waiting for lightening to strike, but I do think awe and respect are essential, this is God we're talking about - Creator of all things, Savior and Redeemer, etc.

Why do I have so much to say today....longest post ever!
Thoughts to come in shorter posts.

3 comments:

Blythe Lane said...

Some good musings, my friend! I think I am asking myself some similar questions...or at least, finding myself in the midst of current situation where the working out of fearing God/trusting His character is something quite real. I think I fall on the side that I'm truly grateful that He is "good but not safe" -- my relationship with Him grows exponentially as a result! Hard to experience the working out of that reality and yet, I wouldn't trade that for anything! Thanks for sharing, friend!

Luke said...

Great thoughts...great questions. worthy of the time taken to evaluate and ponder. Definately some "think" that is benefical to have take place.
I would have to agree that He is good but if He was always safe and protecting I don't believe we(I) would grow or maybe grow like we do when we are in unsafe situations that make us reliant on God in a way that many of us don't frequently experience. For example, two summers ago, when I was in Nairobi we inadvertantly drove into a riot and had numerous softball size rocks come crashing through our windows. Our picture of the "safe" and protecting God was crushed and changed. We all survived and no one was seriously injured but our team was challenged in a way like none of us had ever been before. God kept us safe but we were a bit shocked becasue our little bubble of safety and security had been popped. I am so greatful for that experience because it brought me and the others to a place of total desparation and need for God. I waved my "white flag" to God and said "I can't do this..." and "I don't know what to do...Help me to know..." It was hard but I wish the same situation on anyone else if thats what is necessary to bring everyone to their knees.
God demands risk from us because if others who don't follow Christ never see us have to risk anything then from their view they can ask themselves introspectively "how is something worth my life if those who claim to follow Him won't risk anything for His greatness?" Granted thats only one example its an example that is is real to me. I'm personally glad He's not always safe.
I don't totally agree with quote of "Fear is the anticipation of harm." Fear I believe is more accurately described for me as "repect of the potential that something has in a good or bad sense". Fear is always associated with being scared and I think we often see it as limiting thats why I have a different definition. The bible says "Fear not..." and yet says "Fear the Lord your God..." but the clear difference is that when we as believers are wronged by others we should "Fear not..." because god is with us but as sinful people who do wrong we sure as heck better "Fear the Lord". I like the example electricity where you and I know we all fear it because we don't want to get electricuted because it could kill you but used correctly and with repect we can allowed to do amazing things with it and greatly benefit from it.
Wow you really got me going here. Sorry. I've got to wrap this up. Thanks for the post. Great stuff!

Sarah said...

You are so hilarious! I love that you have a blogspot and that your name is Correnta. Yeah, more people to read about. Thanks for the email.