Monday, February 20, 2006

My Buddy

This maybe something that "you had to be there for," but I had too much fun so I have to share it with you....

Sunday, which has in the last few minutes become yesterday, I had a really great day. Two wonderful friends of mine have two wonderful kids that I love very much. Their oldest child is 4 years old and we have been friends his whole life. :) I usually stop by their house a couple times a week to hang out with his parents, and I try to always take time to do something with the kids. We color, or read books, or play with trucks or dinosaurs, whatever sounds fun to them.
For lots of reasons I hadn't seen my friends for 10 days or more. Their little boy was missing me and I was missing him too. I decided we should have a special day together since we hadn't seen each other for what seems like too long. So today my buddy and I had a special afternoon together. He came over after his nap and we made cupcakes in ice cream cones, chocolate ones! I also let him eat a frosted cookie he found leftover from Valentines Day - oh the sugar high he must be on.
He was such a good helper. He helped pour the cake mix in the bowl, he poured all the ingredients. We both got a kick out of an egg we cracked that surprisingly had 2 yolks in it...no kidding! In all my baking experience that had never happened before. I'm such a dork, I shouted, "Hey, Twins!" when I saw it. Of course he didn't get my joke, but he laughed at me, laughing at myself. Then we took turns pouring batter into ice cream cones and then baked them in the oven. While we waited we played with my dog, colored and ran around a bit, I think he also gave my dog some cookie...not common in this house. We washed our hands and started frosting the cupcakes, this was crazy but fun. He finished the cupcakes with sprinkles on top, many of which fell to the ground and were licked up by the dog; she may never sleep again or throw up before she does. Oh my.
After we finished our yummy creations, we loaded up the car and went to Pizza Hut. My roommate came along too and it was a blast.
He told us all kinds of crazy things. I asked him what the yuckiest thing was he ever had to eat, he quickly turned up his nose and answered "casserole, with corn and carrots and peas in it." I wish you could have seen his face it was a hoot.
We had pizza and pop (I know, more sugar! but no caffeine). We talked about silly things and laughed and laughed. He is a funny little guy.
After pizza I took him home and he shared his cupcakes with friends who had come over to play.
The car ride to his house was hilarious. He kept telling us that there was a snake in the car and he was making hissing sounds. I said, "Are you serious?" He answered, "Yes, I am serious!" I pretended to be very scared that I was going to get bit by the snake. He told me it was a nice snake and later told me the snake had left.
I then said to him, "I am really, really, really, really, really, really serious; did you know there is a crazy biting monkey in my car?’Cause there is!"
He said, "No way!" I answered, "Oh yes, a crazy biting monkey, and you better be careful or he'll get you." He said, "Are you really, really, really, really, really, really serious?" I said yes, and then starting making crazy monkey sounds. I'm sure my roommate thought I was nuts! We were all laughing and laughing.
In think in the end we had hissing snakes, crazy biting monkey's, a rhino, and an alligator who "doesn't even need water to swim," all in my car.
What a special little guy my buddy is. We had a great day!
Thanks friends for letting me be an extra aunt to your kido's. I love it!

4 comments:

Blythe Lane said...

Most of our staff kids (and some of the students) call me "Aunt Blythe." Very cool to be an adopted aunt! Very fun story.

Jenni said...

Gotta love that boy! I love how you serve people and how it delights you.

alethea said...

Thanks for the last couple of comments, especially the one that put me at 800! You've won a free snow cone and I'll throw in another free one for any little buddies you bring by this summer! You posting here reminded me of my years of hanging out with the Rundles when their kids were little. It's an investment that multiplies through the years.

Heather said...

alethea,I have to tell you, my other buddy the x-man, anytime I tell him that I'm taking him out for ice cream he asks if we are going to get a Green Goblin...in his eyes baskin robbins has nothin' on you! When we get to the ice cream place he says, "there's no green goblin ice cream here!"
We can't wait for summer.