Sunday, October 19, 2008

Chocolate Covered Caramel Apples!!

I love Fall! I love Fall Food! I love making these yummy apples and giving them to friends and neighbors and of course we keep one for ourselves to eat. They are huge and have to be cut into wedges to eat them.
I will share with you how to make these but know they take time but are very rewarding. Also I have embedded a slide show of some of the process although I kept forgetting to take pictures as I went so some steps are missing. But hey, getting some pics is pretty amazing since I was making these while home alone with a 5 week old baby.

I just finished typing the directions and forgot how many steps there are - this is a little crazy. I've been doing it so long I just cruise right through it but some of you may think I am NUTS after you read this.

You will need:
Bamboo skewers
Apples: Granny Smith or HoneyCrip or Jonnygold (a tart apple) -look for ones that are nice and round, sit up straight and have no bruises
Caramels
Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips
Crisco (the white kind NOT the Butter Flavor Yellow kind!)
Favorite Candy (mini M&M's, butterfinger, heath toffee, oreos, etc.)
White Chocolate Chips (or Almond Bark white melting chocolate)

How To:
Wash apples (duh) then put skewer in apple then I use scissors to score the bamboo about halfway down then I break it (otherwise it is way too long or tall)
Then I melt Caramels and add 1-2 tablespoons of cream or milk, whatever you have on hand is fine. Remember to melt slow - 30 sec in microwave, stir, 30 sec, stir, etc. until caramel is nicely melted.
Ok. - dip your apples
I put a cake pan in the fridge lined with wax paper that I have sprayed with spray cooking oil
place caramel apple in fridge to set up caramel.

If you are using mini M&M's then press them on the caramel apple as soon as the apple is cool to the touch. If you want to use another candy then beat the candy into small pieces and press on caramel apple. Put apples in fridge while you melt the chocolate.

While apples are in fridge, In a medium bowl melt your semi sweet chocolate chips & 1/2 -1 Tb crisco (I use the microwave to melt it, same way as before 30 sec, stir, 30 sec, stir, etc. the crisco makes the chocolate shinny and pretty)

In a small bowl melt about 1/2 cup of white chocolate and 1/2 teaspoon of crisco. BE CAREFUL - white chocolate easily overcooks - you'll know it when it balls up on you instead of being smooth and creamy. After the white chocolate is melted let it cool down some and pour into a ziplock sandwich bag (if it is too hot it will melt the bag) you will cut a small hole in one corner of the bag.

Dip your caramel & candy coated apple #1 in the semi-sweet chocolate and place in fridge.
Dip apple #2 in chocolate and place in fridge.
Take Apple #1 back out of fridge and drizzle with white chocolate
Dip apple #3 in chocolate, place in fridge
Take #2 out and drizzle with white chocolate
etc.

Good Luck!
Recently I have just been making them with mini M&M's but my absolute FAVORITE is to smear creamy peanutbutter on the caramel apple and then cover with tiny pieces of oreo cookies and then cover in the chocolate - crazy bad for you but crazy YUMMY!


2 comments:

Christy said...

yes, these sound CRAZY good, and yes I think you are slightly CRAZY for making these with a 5 week old at home! when audrey was 5 weeks old, for me just getting a shower taken was a productive day!!! :)

Unknown said...

I love you Heather! When I called I was half kidding, but a little bit serious when I asked if you would blog this for me. Im trying this and you know it will turn out nothing like yours, another reason you need to move back!! I think Im going with honeycrisp and heath bar, Im nervous.