Saturday, October 04, 2008

Exhausted Mother Saved by Exhaust Fan

My sweet baby is very unpredictable these days. One day she is a perfect angel and another day I think she will never stop screaming and eating.

For example on Tuesday I met up with some old friends for coffee at 10am we sat and enjoyed great conversation and coffee (decaf for me of course) and when we finally decided to check the time it was 1:45! My baby was just hanging out in her car seat sleeping and she ate once but was so quiet. Then we all went to a very late lunch and stayed there until 4 then I went to the grocery store - Baby K was perfect.

Two days later I went to the mall to find a dress for an upcoming event Baby K was having a great morning so I thought we would be fine. Turns out she hated the outing. She screamed pretty much the whole time we were in the mall. Even though I fed her in the parking lot before going in (hoping she would be full and asleep for my shopping) we ended up in the dressing room for more than 30 min. feeding her and then ended up leaving b/c the crying would not stop.

Yesterday evening she was the crying machine again. I think she may have had an upset stomach. Neither my husband or I could get her to relax and go to sleep. She really had not taken more than a 15 min. nap here or there during the day so I knew she was very tired.

A friend of mine had told me that when her son was crying a lot that they would swaddle him up, go to a dark room and turn on white noise and he would settle down.

We don't have a noise maker so I swaddled her up, went to the bathroom with the lights turned off and turned on the exhaust fan and in less than 30 seconds she was silent. I just stood there in the dark swaying back and forth and she was sound asleep in just a few min. We put an air purifier in our room that makes a similar noise and turned out the lights and she slept for 6 hours!! This morning she was not going down for a nap so we went to the bathroom again - works like a charm. I love that exhaust fan!

Maybe I will move her bassinet to the bathroom until I am able to go out and buy a noise maker. ha ha

Here is a picture of baby K learning to pose like a model. :)

Here is a picture of dad asleep with baby and the dog. (we had to touch up some spots on the back wall so the paint is a little crazy in the background)


3 comments:

Christy said...

Bummer!! So sorry your days have been unpredictable. I think the not-knowing-what-to-expect/plan for is one of the absolute hardest things as a parent. And we have totally learned the value of good white noise! I keep a box fan in Audrey's closet that gets turned on for all naps and at nighttime. It works wonders. :) Hope things normalize for you soon!

Em said...

thanks for the update!! I'm glad you found the white noise to be a big help! what a relief! I've been thinking of you three quite a bit lately... :) she's such a cutie!

have you made your announcement on scrapblog yet? i've been working on mine today...

Carmen said...

Know that you are in good company when it comes to enduring unpredictable, difficult babies. :) I found it to be a daily puzzle those first few months!

We, too, use white noise...a fan runs at night and during every nap. Hope you have many calm days this week!