Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Fast Fixin' Chocolate Cake

Today is my husband's birthday and he loves rich chocolate cake.
When I was a kid my mom found this chocolate cake recipe and it has been a family favorite ever since.

1 devil's food cake mix
1/4 cup oil
2 eggs
1 1/4 cup milk
1 (3.9oz) chocolate pudding mix
1 cup chocolate chips
1 Tb flour (optional)
Powdered sugar to dust the top of the finished cooled cake

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare cake pan(s) you can use one 9x13" pan or two 8" round pans or two 9" round pans. Grease whatever pan(s) you plan to use. You will have about 4 1/2 cups of cake batter so if you need to divide it into two pans then you can put about 2 1/4 cups of batter in each pan.

Ok - mix together the cake mix, oil, eggs, milk and pudding mix.
In a separate bowl toss the chocolate chips with the flour just to coat the chips - this will help them to stay spread out through out the cake and not sink to the bottom while baking. After the chips are dusted with flour add them to the batter and stir just until they are mixed in.

Pour batter in cake pan(s) and bake.
350 degrees for 30-45 min until cake is just pulling away from the sides of the pan and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

when cake is completely cooled sift powdered sugar over the top of the cake and serve.

Today since it was A's birthday I decided to try my hand at homemade Chocolate Buttercream frosting - YUMMY!
Here is the recipe I used
http://www.recipezaar.com/89207

I used the max amount of cocoa and I added some chocolate fudge ice cream topping we had in the fridge maybe 1/4 cup. SO AMAZING!!

I surprised A and brought the cake to his work, he didn't even know I was making a cake. Lots of people he works with came down to the lobby to have cake and to see the baby.

A said this is the best chocolate cake I have ever made - I think he has had a happy birthday so far.

No comments: