Thursday, October 09, 2008

Savings!$!$!$! And a LOT of turkey!

Seriously, we buy a pound of deli turkey every week. My hubby doesn't care for ham so we buy turkey - currently at the grocery store and Walmart smoked deli turkey is $6.99/lb - crazy!
My friend Steph shared with me a while back about how she buys a ham or turkey that is already cooked and asks the deli to slice it for her - much cheaper. If your family will eat ham, you can get it around the holidays for 99cents a pound!
Anyway, yesterday I was at Sams and saw they had JenniO mesquite smoked turkey fully cooked for $3.28/lb! So I picked up a 9.62 lb turkey, rang the meat department bell and asked them to shave it for me - they did - no extra charge!
I found that one pound of turkey will fit in a ziplock sandwich bag so I divided it up and put it in the freezer. Now for more than 9 weeks I do not have to stand in line at the deli, I do not have to spend twice as much on the turkey, I can just go to the freezer and pull out a bag.

Ahhhhh.....it feels good to save money!
Thanks Steph for the FABULOUS idea!




7 comments:

Marie said...

Ok that is a great idea! Does the thawed deli meat still taste pretty good? You'll have to let me know when you pull one of the bags out...

Anonymous said...

Great idea--I'm gonna try it if you think it freezes well. Gail

Erika said...

Awesome idea!! I wonder if our wal-mart will do it for no charge.

Amanda said...

I'm shocked. I'm amazed. I'm thankful! Thanks so much for sharing! And just so you know...I've frozen lunchmeat turkey (the kind you just buy already sliced) and it was fine when I defrosted it. :)

Marie said...

It really doesn't get slimy? I knew that Sam's membership was good for something! Sweet...

kendra said...

great deal! maybe i can get into sam's with my mom. we hardly ever do sandwiches b/c we opt for cheaper protein. that's totally decent, though!

i've frozen regular lunch meat and it was just fine...couldn't tell a difference at all.

mary beth said...

that is such a great idea! I am trying to do more cooking ahead and freezing it in bags so all I have to do is pop it out and be mostly ready. Im gonna look and see if they have my favorite ham there and to this with it too...Old Farmers Ham has the greatest flavor and I dont mind spending a lilttle more for it...Sam's is calling my name lately! Little one sure is growing! mary Beth