Today I taught a friend how to make a cheesecake. I've been learning for years and practicing a lot to get the texture and flavor and yumminess of a cheesecake just right. I'm not perfect. I'm not the Cheesecake Fac*tory by any means but I do like to make them and people seem to enjoy eating them.
So because today I shared with a friend some key tips in making a great cheesecake, I thought I would share a few tips on my blog.
Here are my Top 3 Tips (I have more but I can't share all my secrets now can I?)
#1 - smooth batter is key, the best way to soften cream cheese is to place the packets in the oven while you are preheating it for baking your crust. Also, use eggs that have been at room temp if they are cold they will chill parts of the cream cheese and keep the batter from being smooth
#2 - no matter what recipe I am using I always add 2Tb of flour to the cheesecake batter if the recipe doesn't already call for it.
#3 - bake it in a water bath - worth the extra work (it's not that much extra), it will require a little extra cooking time (at least this has been my experience) but it is SO worth it. I tell you this is KEY to having no cracks in the top of your cheesecake, bakes beautiful & even every time.
2 comments:
I am so afraid of cheescake! I love to eat it, but I don't think I've ever even tried to make one. . . and we can get cream cheese here but it is very expensive, so I'm not sure this is the best test lab for me to learn. And I'm not sure I could get a springform pan here. Do you have to use one? Oh, I wish I could come to your house and take a cheescake lesson from you in person! Thanks for sharing your tips. I'm inspired!
Kellie,
I totally think it would be possible to make one in a cake pan rather than a springform pan, it will just be more difficult to cut & remove from the pan - but really just the 1st piece would be a little hard. Mostly you would miss out on the ablity to have a pretty out of the pan presentation of the whole cheesecake but that's not needed.
When you are home if you want to add a cheesecake lesson to your plans I will happily travel to Pitt and give you one (my sneaky way of getting to see you, your hubby & sweet maya & get to eat cheesecake! hee hee)
Post a Comment