Saturday, July 25, 2009

Stuck

I'm stuck. I've been thinking about what would be the best way to buy music and play music for my sweet baby.
Here is my struggle, small CD player or MP3 player & doc?
I'm not technical at all. I have a cell phone that is a year old. My computer is 8yrs old or more. I do not have an Ipo*d or anything like it. I had a blu*etooth for my old phone but my new phone won't pair up to it, so I don't use it anymore. Until I got married 2 1/2 years ago I didn't even have a digital camera. LOL

I want to have more music playing in our house for Baby K to enjoy. We do have 3 children's CDs for her and I play them in my computer sometimes (but it's old & running the CD makes it tired like 2 songs in so the fan kicks in and is SO loud you can't enjoy the music or hear it in the next room)

Baby K's birthday is coming up in like 6weeks. What should we get her?
Mp3 player? docking station - can we find good kids music to download? Where do you get yours? is it crazy to get a baby an Ip*od?
CD player? I'm for this b/c it's cheap! Well, kind of it's cheap, you have to buy CD's and then you have more junk laying around the house...

What are your thoughts?
What music do your kids listen to?
Any suggestions on music to buy for our sweet Baby K who I know would love to boogie if she just had some good tunes! ;)

Thanks for your thoughts!
This frugal non tech wife/mommy needs help.

8 comments:

TheHappyNeills said...

get an mp3. you'll save lots of $ by being able to buy just 1 song at a time, and when she's a bit older she can have her playlists on her little mp3 player. calvin and fallyn both have players rick found really cheap online (refurbs or something for $15!). they would not be able to play cds by themselves, plus they wouldn't have all the great music available just from cds... we have tons of diverse music on their players and they just push the buttons!

i can't tell you how many songs we have where that's the only 1 (or maybe 2 or 3) we bought off an album...

our fav kids music, by FAR (the only one where we own the whole albums--and multiple ones!)--DAN ZANES! i did a post about some kids music.

the kids also listen to johnny cash, bluegrass, irish, kyrgyz...and we have tons of random "kids" songs by good bands (cake, barenaked ladies, they might be giants, etc.), so it's not annoying kiddie voices throughout the whole song. dan zanes is just pure music genius...google him and read up, i could gush for hours!

TheHappyNeills said...

once you get started, you can look at our playlists to find lots of random songs to buy for yourself! :)

and no, it's not crazy to get an ipod for a baby! i think it's great! and cds would be such a hassle and you'd be spending a LOT more $, when you might only be excited about a couple songs on it. i love being able to pick and choose a zillion different songs--for the kids or myself! you need one, too!

SmallvilleMom said...

I usually play the radio on the computer during the day. HisKids.net has kids christian music and slacker.com is a free online radio that has a toddler channel. For portability, though, you can easily get a cheap mp3 player and pick and choose the songs you want to buy.

Em said...

wow. well, we're not nearly as cultured as some of your other friends that have commented. we have an ipod but i don't know how to use it. BUT, what they're saying makes sense. you should go the mp3/ipod way and save money by buying one song at a time. however...we do have one kids cd we've listened to about 10 times in the past week while in the car. it's nursery rhymes put to music. somehow james knows it's for him and he tunes in and loves it! i'd recommend looking for some songs like that. his aunt shari bought it for him...at target, but i'm sure you could find lots of similar things to download....

jesslucas said...

Bren has a cd player. I have also listented to hiskids.net online. Bren loves KLOVE so we listen to that during the day. Also the Veggie Tale cd's are super cute. I am not into all the technology because its always changing. I'm old fashion....give me a cd player and i'm good....or the internet!

Beth said...

If you go with the ipod choice and get a dock for it you most likely will be able to use that dock for a long time. Callie got an iHome for Christmas and it fit all of the iPods old and new. Plus also iTunes is probably the best thing ever when it comes to searching and finding music. Most of the songs are $.99 so its not like you'll have to spend money on anything you don't like. Also if you went with that, you could just make a kaiya playlist on your iTunes and also have music you and adam like on it at the same time. So it wouldn't be just buying it for Kaiya it could be a family used thing. Theres all kinds of things you can do with them. Playlists being one of the best, you just have to take the time and kind of sit and organize them around.

mariscolgan said...

Hey! Pandora.com has some great stations you can listen to for free! You can also customize a station to the exact music you would like to hear. I use it all the time for fun music for Kate to listen to! All you need to do is register for an account, and you are set! Maybe a good thing for now before you purchase an mp3 player or cd player:)

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking you should just go ahead & buy her her first cell phone. Go for it. I mean, get one with a built-in MP3 player. That way you'll get at LEAST 2 things in one. See where this is going? She'll be talking before long & parent's seem to be getting their kids phones earlier and earlier these days. I dare you to start a trend!! :) LOL!!