Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Yummy Summer Dinner


I cannot take credit for this picture. It is from the blog Chaos in the Kitchen and there is a link to the recipe later in this post.

I've been trying some new things for dinner this summer. What I've learned about myself is that mexican food almost always sounds good to me in the summer and I have a new found addiction to cooking with Chipotle Peppers in Adobo Sauce! I knew I liked those peppers but I am cooking with them every chance I get these days. The sweet, the smokey, the spice - glorious! :)

Last night I made Quesadilla Pie. Check out the recipe and know that you can fill it with whatever you would like. I used some leftover chicken we had, tomatoes, green onion & red onion, black beans, cheese, tomatoes & chipotle peppers in adobo sauce (because I'm in love with them! I'd marry them but Adam snagged me 1st! lol)

You can find the recipe and step-by-step pictures at
http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/quesadilla_pie/



For dessert we had Quesadilla S'Mores.
http://chaosinthekitchen.com/2008/10/do-you-want-smore/
I found these through Foodgawker and have been wanting to try them. The recipe didn't list exact portions of ingredients and I WAY WAY WAAAAY over did it on the filling! Better luck next time I guess. So ours were kind of gross - Chocolate & Marshmallow oosing out the sides, all over my fingers in a sticky MESS!
HOWEVER, if made correctly (filled in moderation) I really believe these easy yummy treats are a great summer dessert and would be even better if served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Happy Eating!

5 comments:

Em said...

yay! Thanks for the recipes. They look awesome! I agree with the fact that I could almost always eat Mexican.

Em said...

P.S. I just looked at the tortilla pie recipe and love that it's tortillas (duh, Emily) instead of pie crust. How easy!!

Heather said...

Em I am cracking up that you thought it was pie crust - yep, it's tortillas. I did not have a 10 inch pie plate. I had a 9.5 inch pie plate so I just trimmed off a little of my tortillas so they fit in the plate nicely.
I am thinking of using a 10inch springform pan next time. We'll see.

Christy said...

i'm practically drooling on my computer these look so good...pretty sure i'll have to wait a few months to try these lest i upset poor Norah's tummy. -sigh- someday i WILL make them!

Jason, Lisa, Olivia & Annalie said...

Ooo! Do I have a recipe for YOU! I found this one last summer - my first experience with chipotle in adobo. Mmm. Try it! The first one is the main recipe and the second is the chipotle sauce I make to go in it.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Mexican-Style-Shredded-Pork/Detail.aspx

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chipotle-Sauce/Detail.aspx