Friday, March 13, 2009
Baby Food...
I've been wanting to post this for several days but life has been busy. Baby K is a pro at eating baby food these days. She is learning how to use a sippy cup (although she is a long way from being able to do it all by herself, she tries). I have been hunting down baby food recipes and trying some things out.
I have a Baby's 1st Recipe Book that a friend made for me - Stac, it's wonderful!!! Thank you!
Also I have been looking at a few websites but my favorite so far is www.wholesomebabyfood.com (thanks to Ging & Stac for recommending it)
So far more than anything Baby K has had (even more than fruit!) she loves loves loves Avocado mixed with squash! I saw a recipe to mix the two together and it is a big hit! She will eat them separate from each other but you should see her go when they are mixed - it's so funny! (it's like baby crack! good thing it's healthy - lol)
This post is getting long and baby will be awake soon. She here is my tip for the day (not an original idea - so don't think I'm taking credit - just passing on the info)
I was worried the avocado would turn brown and look yucky and I didn't want to have to prepare it just in time to serve it to Baby K.
Best way - and they are still green when served - is to cut the avocado into slices - about 8. Put the slices in a water/lime juice bath (a drop or two of lime juice is plenty and won't hurt baby). Lay the slices on wax paper and freeze. When they are rock hard, remove from freezer, let stand for a min or two and remove from wax paper and place rock hard slices into a freezer storage bag. 2 slices is more than enough for Baby K to eat in one sitting - so one avocado can be 4 meals! I bought the small avocado for $1 and got 4 meals out of it - that is half the cost of 4 jars of baby food.
To serve I just take the number of slices I need and let rest for several min (maybe 10-15) on the counter while I cook dinner for the adults. They thaw out and I mash them and add a little breast milk or water (we have reverse osmosis water) to thin it out. You can also add rice cereal, apples, pears or squash.
I did make applesauce - not pictured. 2 apples cored and peeled, boiled and simmered in 2/3 cup water for 15min. then pureed and froze in ice cube trays. Yummy & not brown - no artificial sugars added.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Yay!!!! I love this post! Thank so much for sharing this info. It's been on my mind a lot the past few days. I'm reading Super Baby Foods and have even found the Wholesome Baby Foods website. We're only starting week two of solids...but I was just about to run to the store to buy avocados! Thanks for the lime-water bath tip. I'm really excited to try it out! I think I'm also going to try homemade brown rice cereal down the road.
Post a Comment