Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Follow Thru

In my very long previous post I was sharing about an issue I had with our bank.
Then I thought, why should I just rant on my blog...maybe I should actually do something about my small frustration.

So I got on the bank website and went the the "Contact Us" menu and decided to send them a comment. I wrote only a few short sentences and was polite and kind but pointed out the irony of the paper waste vs. the point of the Green Account. I did not expect my little comment to matter or to even get a response from the bank whatsoever. At the very least I had made them aware of my thoughts and felt that rather than just complaining I had actually brought some attention to the issue. What they do with it was their business.

Anyway, after spending a few hours with a friend this afternoon, I returned home and found I had received a response from the bank.
Here it is...
"Thank you for your email!
Your concerns are valid and correct---the Green Account advertising will be removed in the next quarter when the ATM paper is changed.
Thank you again for your email. Have a great day!

Jamie Varbel
Vice President of Marketing
BWCU"

So I made someone think today. Quite possibly they were going to change the ad when they change the paper anyway - but that wasn't really the point. The point is hopefully in the future they will be more aware of what they are communicating and hopefully waste less paper. Or maybe the VP of marketing will start recycling if she doesn't already. :)

Thanks BWCU for a quick reply and for hearing your customer.

I may officially have too much time on my hands. :)

2 comments:

Christy said...

Nice work! I am impressed, that IS quick follow-through. So, I'm curious...how green will you be when baby arrives? Are you braving cloth diapers to save some room in a landfill? I tried...and quickly failed. :)

Heather said...

Yeah - not very brave around here - I barely get laundry done now and we have no kids. Adam wanted to do cloth diapers - I said NO WAY unless he would let me hire a laundry service to come and get them and wash them.
We will be adding to the landfill of disposable diapers but all of our other recycling makes me feel far less guilty about it.