Monday, June 22, 2009

Requested Sugar Cookie Recipe

I got the recipe from a blogger I found through foodgawker.com here is the link to the blog address for other fun ideas and below is also the recipes I used.

http://chiccookiekits.blogspot.com/2008/11/cookie-dough-and-frosting-recipes.html

Also a special note about the frosting - Wilton makes a product called "Icing Color" it comes in "White-White" it comes in a 2oz bottle, it is liquid and looks like white-out, not joke! The frosting will look cream or off white b/c of the vanilla extract - this product will turn your frosting WHITE WHITE, WHITE as clean snow in a blizzard! I LOVE IT! Here's a pic - you can buy it at Hob*by Lobby or Walm*art or other craft stores.


Also after chilling the dough I roll it out by using 2 dowel rods, one on each side of the dough, the rods are 1/4" thick and I just roll the dough until my rolling pin touches the rods and then I know my dough is exactly 1/4" thick.
There are special bands you can get that go on each end of your rolling pin that will serve the same purpose.

Sugar Cookies:
2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 cup confectioner's sugar
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 tsp almond extract
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp salt

Cream butter and sugar. Add egg and blend well. Add extracts and blend. Mix flour and salt and gradually add. Chill dough for about 2 hours before rolling out and cutting. Bake cut out cookies on parchment lined baking trays at 375 for 12-14 minutes. (the cross cookies I only baked for 7 min using a silicone baking mat on my cookie sheet - got the mat at Wal-mart in the baking section)

Frosting:
Note: This frosting is similar to royal icing, but I add shortening and flavoring to make it taste delicious. Thus, it dries hard enough to handle and pack when left overnight, but not rock hard, like traditional royal icing. The consistency is NOT the runny kind used for flooding. It's stiffer. Take a spoonful, turn it over the bowl. The frosting should cling to the spoon and slowly fall into the bowl. That's the right consistency.

4 tblsp meringue powder (available at many supermarkets and in most craft stores)
1/2 cup water
6-7 cups confectioner's sugar (may need more or less, see the consistency advice above)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup Crisco

Whip the meringue powder and water on high speed for a looooong time, several minutes, until it's fluffy and peaks form. Gradually add the rest of the ingredients to desired consistency.
(**Note from me...I sometimes have to add water to get the right consistency, just depends on the day I guess)
Store at room temperature in a sealed container for up to a month.

2 comments:

Jimi said...

I was going to ask for this recipe. So glad you posted it! Thanks.

Ginger said...

Thanks so much for the recipes! :) Oh - and another option for white frosting... I use clear vanilla when I make frosting or white fondant, so the color stays pure white :)