Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Do you like to rent movies?


Adam and I are Netflix users we pay for an account with some friends, so we share the cost and pass the movies around. It works great.

Yesterday I wanted to rent a couple of movies to watch. I hate it when you go to Blockbuster only to find that the movie you really wanted to get is all rented and you have to choose something different. Then you wander around the store trying to find a suitable back up, if you're lucky you find one. Then you pay about $4 to rent the movie.

A friend of mine suggested trying the Redbox DVD rental box at McDonalds. Rentals are $1 and they have new releases. Because of the heat yesterday I didn't want to stand outside at a box trying to navigate a new machine and choose a movie so I thought - maybe you can see online what movies are in the box so I can have my choices ready.

I FOUND A GREAT THING!!!
Go to http://www.redbox.com/
you can type in your zip code and it will bring up the nearest redbox. The site will then tell you what movies are available in that box, you can reserve the movie(s) you want and enter your debit or credit info. You have until 9pm the following night to pick up the movie. Then you have 24 hours to watch it - or you are charged for a 2nd day.

They had the movies I wanted to rent. I reserved them, drove to McDonalds, there is an option on the redbox screen to "pick up online order" I pushed that, then swiped my card and it spit out my movies! I was seriously at McDonalds less than 2 min. Amazing! The movies cost me $1.06 per movie. Much less than Blockbuster.

I'm still glad for netflix, but if you are waiting for a movie and want some entertainment the redbox is my new movie friend.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We do this too when we want an extra movie or don't have one from Netfix. Another great tool is to goole "redbox free codes" and most of the time you can get a code to punch in and you get the movie for free. We've never paid for one yet! I know it's only $1, but still, it's FREE!! :)

Unknown said...

We love redbox too. I love that you can take it back to any redbox, even another town or state (which we did while we were on vacation and forgot to return our movie before we left...opps!)

I didn't know about the free codes, but that is nice!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.