Saturday, August 09, 2008

Wild

click above to read why this is the safest place on earth

While flipping through channels on the TV this morning I stopped at Animal Planet. The show was about crocodiles and how a mama croc has babies. What I learned is SO wild, I had no idea!

Here is what I learned. The mama goes on shore, digs a hole, lays eggs in the nest (the hole) covers the nest with dirt. It looks like nothing was ever there.
Three months later the eggs will hatch, the mother will know the eggs have hatched b/c she can hear the squeaking noises of her young. She will gently dig the hole again revealing the nest. Some of the babies have hatched the others will hatch very soon, all the babies are squeaking, even the ones still in the eggs.

Here is where it get really wild - she scoops each hatched baby croc into her mouth, where she holds them in a pouch to keep them protected until they are bigger. She can hold up to 15 babies in her mouth.

The narrator said, "The same mouth that can rip a zebra to shreds is capable to being very gentle and caring for very small babies."

Anyway, the mama will take the babies to a save cove until they are bigger, they have swimming lessons and spend time in mom's mouth while she swims the river, she opens her mouth just enough so the babies can see out. It was so weird to see all these babies peering out from the teeth of a croc! The babies are all squirmy and trying to walk off or swim off, they are very adventurous and the mom has to be careful to keep them together, which is hard for her b/c once she has several crocs in her mouth it becomes more difficult to keep those crocs in and pick up other crocs to put in her mouth. She has not her hands full but her mouth full :).
She has to do this for a couple of months until they are bigger.

I am sure there is some spiritual analogy here. Right now I am just amazed at God's creativity in creation. Amazing!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

you crack me up! it is amazing though...i would have never guessed

Erika said...

You are the QUEEN of random information. It's a good quality, by the way. :)

Anonymous said...

For some reason that picture makes me gag--I've got quite the strong gag reflex, I guess--so glad I don't have to keep my babies in my mouth!! I'd rather hold them! Gail