I want to prepare some freezer meals. I am having trouble committing to preparing some because Adam and I neither one are big fans of leftovers and somehow I think freezer meals will taste like leftovers and not a fresh cooked meal.
Have you made freezer meals? Do you have a recipe you think re-heats really well and will satisfy picky leftover eaters?
I would love suggestions.
Maybe after baby comes we'll be so tired anything will taste good - who knows.
6 comments:
Do you make your own spaghetti or lasagna sauce? If so, you could make a few batches of that up and then all you would have to do is boil some noodles for a quick spaghetti dinner or lasagna.
I like to freeze individually wrapped homemade burritos (I can give you my recipe if you want it). They are GREAT for pulling out a one or two serving meal. Just add some chips & salsa and, well, that's pretty much it for us. You know how much we love chips & salsa!! :)
If I think of any other good ideas, I'll let you know. We eat lots of leftovers, though, so it may be different for us than for you guys.
Freezer meals aren't bad Heather, cooking will be come second priority next to Kaiya, the best part is, you won't even care. Check out my sisters link to her girlfriends cooking club, there are some great freezer friendly meals on there!
I was also going to say make a pan of lasagna and freeze it before baking it. Or most any casserole type thing would be like that. I would think you could freeze your chicken enchiladas before cooking them, too. So you can just pull them out the day you want them and cook them then. Still fresh! Quick breads freeze well. There you go, there are my ideas.
Oh, girl, I freeze EVERYTHING! I'm sending you four of my favorites from a Pampered Chef power cooking demonstration I saw (I think I was actually making these when we were on the phone last...)
I think most soups freeze well--if they have potatoes, they may be a bit mushy, but I still think the soup is fine. I also usually freeze at least an extra pan of meatballs when I'm making them. Freeze them seperated on a cookie sheet, then once they're frozen, you can dump them into a freezer bag. I put them in the fridge the night before I want to eat them, then bake as directed. Wish I lived closer--I'd come cook for you!!! Gail
I've got a few recipes I'll send your way. This past year a friend and I did an exchange of freezer meals every 6-8 weeks, and we found a few things that we liked (and a few we didn't.) I agree with the comments about individually frozen burritos and meatballs. I also have a meat sauce recipe that makes enough for three different recipes, lasagna rolls, tostadas and chili. I'll try to get the recipes together soon...I don't have them on the computer! Doing the freezer exchange, I did have to get over some of my own issues with food and be okay with the taste/texture and just appreciate the ease of preparation.
Post a Comment