I am bored just sitting around waiting for this baby to come. Baby is due Thursday - I'll be induced if she doesn't make her appearance by next Saturday morning - this waiting is about to make me batty.
Anyway, what's a girl to do while she waits....hmmmmm....Make Ice Cream! :)
I found a recipe today for Coffee Ice Cream (actually a custard based ice cream) a blogger I found had revised a recipe she found in a book and I have revised her recipe so who knows how much of this is other people's recipe and how much is mine. I'll give a shout out to the original author. I plan to take a picture of my finished product but that will have to wait until tomorrow. The custard/ice cream base is all mixed up and chilling in the fridge. Tomorrow, Adam and I will freeze it (hopefully right after church b/c I am really excited about it!) and then I will take a picture and give you a review.
Ben and Jerry's Coffee Heath Toffee Crunch is my favorite ice cream so the bar is set high for this experiment.
Coffee Ice Cream
from The Perfect Scoop by David Lebovitz - revised by Correnta
3 cups heavy cream, divided
3/4 cup sugar
1 3/4 cups coffee beans (whole)-I used Starbucks Espresso Roast b/c the beans are strong and sweet.
pinch of salt
5 egg yolks
1/4 tsp vanilla
Brown food coloring paste - I just threw this in b/c I wanted it to have more color, I am ALL about aesthetically pleasing food.
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate, chopped (optional) - I think I'm going to use crushed Heath Bar
Instructions
1) In a saucepan over medium heat, warm 2 cups cream, sugar, beans, and salt until steamy, but not boiling. Cover with a lid, remove from heat and steep for 1 hour at room temperature.
2) Reheat the milk mixture over medium heat until hot and steamy (but not boiling).
3) In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks and slowly pour the heated milk mixture with the beans into the yolks while constantly whisking to avoid cooking the eggs. Pour the egg mixture back into the saucepan.
4) Set the saucepan over medium heat and stir constantly, scraping the bottom and corners of the pot, until the mixture reaches nappe stage and coats the back of a spoon (about 8-10 minutes).
5) Pour the remaining cup of cream into a medium bowl, place med. bowl over a larger bowl that has ice in it. Set a strainer over the medium bowl.
6) Pour the custard through the sieve and stir it into the cream, pressing the coffee beans to squeeze out as much liquid as you can. Discard the beans.
7)Mix in the vanilla and stir until cool. Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator then freeze according to your ice cream maker’s instructions. Stir in the chocolate and set in freezer to freeze.
I'll let you know how it turns out. I can't wait!!
1 comment:
Hey Heather--so I was just looking at your comment on Em's blog about missing ChickFilA. (Is that how it's spelled?) Just had to tell you that there is a new sandwich at McDonald's that seriously tastes exactly like theirs. I think it's called Southwestern Chicken sandwich. I loved it. Can't wait to get that phone call--I'm so there! Love ya-Gail
Post a Comment